Two world-class men’s tennis players will not see action in the US Open – the final Grand Slam tournament of the season – due to injuries. Jannik Sinner and Holger Rune announced they have withdrawn from the prestigious hardcourt event, with the Italian suffering from a knee injury and an Achilles tendon injury keeping the Dane from playing in Flushing Meadows.
World No.1 Jannik Sinner backs out despite attempts to make him ‘tournament ready’
A right knee injury that has sidelined Sinner since winning Wimbledon on July 12 has hampered his hardcourt campaign, forcing the Italian to miss the US Open warm-ups in Cincinnati and Montreal.
Sinner said that despite his team’s efforts to fast-track his recovery, he had no choice but to make the difficult decision of not competing in New York. The Italian noted that he tried to practice in Monte Carlo over the last few days, but he felt that he would need more time to recover from his injury.
The five-time Grand Slam champion has expressed sadness and disappointment from not taking part in this tennis tournament, where he won in 2024 and finished runner-up last year to Spain’s Carlos Alcaraz.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Tennis news: Emma Raducanu to miss US Open due to stress fracture

Sinner to remain in Europe, targets full recovery in time for Asian swing
Sinner announced that he will recover in Europe and seek to achieve full fitness in time for the Asian swing, particularly tournaments in Beijing and Shanghai.
The Italian has been dominant this season, winning 44 of 47 matches and six men’s singles titles, including Wimbledon. However, his most notable setback of the year was in the second round of the French Open in Roland Garros, losing the match amid a heatwave.
His announcement of withdrawal came a day after Alcaraz said he is coming back at Flushing Meadows after a four-month absence due to a wrist injury.
Achilles tendon injury sidelines Rune from US Open
Organizers announced on Friday that US Open fans will not see Danish former world No.4 Holger Rune in action due to an Achilles tendon injury.
The 23-year-old Rune has been sidelined from the competition since October last year. He last saw action in the semifinals at Stockholm.
Before the announcement of his withdrawal, there were signs that Rune could return in the US Open after photos surfaced on social media this week that he and Alcaraz were practicing together.
Rune’s withdrawal means that Argentine Facundo Diaz Acosta will take his place in the main draw.
The US Open kicks off on August 30.
READ NEXT: Tennis news: Playing at the US Open will be a ‘great experience’, says Arthur Fery
